IN ISLAM, INC. is an organization of professional and social activist
Muslim women who are dedicated to the empowerment of women through
knowledge and practice of Islam.
MISSION is to advance the spiritual and intellectual development of women to empower them as dynamic participants in civil society and as advocates for human rights and social justice.
Centuries ago, Islam elevated the
position of women in society and treated them on equal and equitable
standing with men, and in some cases, gave them even higher status.
Islam prohibits the oppression of any of humanity - women, children,
the elderly, the sick, the wounded, and the physically challenged.
The hungry must be fed, the naked clothed, the homeless sheltered,
and the wounded or diseased given medical care, regardless of their
political views. Our vision and mandate is to reclaim that Legacy.
Women In Islam, Inc. provides a forum for Muslim women to take action-- action to improve the quality of life
for Muslim women in the United States and abroad. We address
issues pertinent to Muslim communities worldwide and work to build understanding across cultural boundaries in the interest of global social justice.
To implement our mission and vision, we conduct programs and initiatives that:
- increase knowledge of our way of life - which includes the elimination of social, cultural and religious stereotypes through critical analysis and scholarly debate;
- eliminate ingrained and insidious practices that devalue Muslim women globally;
- mediate conflict through education, dialogue, and Islamic principles of conflict resolution;
- monitor and influence programs and policies of United Nations bodies such that Muslim women's lives are enhanced;
- build bridges of understanding across cultural boundaries in the interest of global social justice;
- cultivate Islamic scholarship & leadership among Muslim women and our youth;
- provide a speakers bureau of professional & social activist Muslim women; and
- highlight significant scholarly works through symposia and other public forums.
Women in Islam, Inc. was founded in 1992 by Sr. Aisha Al-Adawiya in direct response to
atrocities perpetrated against Muslim women in the Rape Camps of
Bosnia. These atrocities crystallized a critical need for a forum through which Muslim women could advocate on issues affecting the Islamic community generally, and women more specifically.
In 1995 the United Nations 4th World Conference on Women in Beijing, China provided an international forum for Women In Islam, Inc. to network
with other women from around the world to identify, access and coordinate
resources to advance the well being of all women. In 1999, we established
a Justice Committee in response to the wanton shooting of Ahmadou
Diallo. During the same year, the World Conference on Religion and
Peace conference on Action for Common Living: The Role of Religion
in the New Millennium in Amman, Jordan provided another international
setting to advance our work. Since the early years, Women In Islam, Inc. has continued to participated in a range of local, national and international meetings to advance our work.
Started as a volunteer-run grassroots organization with programs responding to emerging community needs, Women in Islam Inc. is a non-profit 501c3 educational and advocacy organization.